Tuesday, May 13, 2008

On the Natural Disasters in Burma and China

To the Chairman of the Chinese students and Scholars Union - (at the University of Camerino, Italy)

Following his letter to the University Forum:


Dear Mr. Yu Ting,


With a sincere sigh of relief, I’m getting aware right now that none of your families has been hit by the devastating event. I’m pretty much convinced that the courageous Chinese people will defeat the earthquake once again and, likely, for ever.

Under the circumstances, I wish I could be close also to the people of Burma and mourn together over the victims of the cyclone Nargis which struck the Irrawaddy delta region. While the death toll is rising towards 100.000, the Burma’s military government is still forbidding foreign aid workers to go and help the extremely poor and vulnerable population.

In view of the fact that China is the closest ally of the tremendous Burma military junta, we all should urge the Chinese government to put pressure on the junta in order to allow humanitarian agencies to enter Burma with no further delays.

I believe it would be highly significant if you, as Chairman of the Chinese students and Scholars Union in Italy, could openly invite your government not to oppose to bring the Burma issue in front of the U.N. Security Council.

The people of Burma deserve at least as much help as the Chinese people hit by the earthquake.

While I have no doubt that you share my view, I’m ready to host your comments in my blog and to spread them (to some modest extent) throughout the world.

Sincerely Yours

Marco Zoli

No comments: